How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
1 post • Page 1 of 1
So I erased my backup flash drive, asI was purchasing a new hard drive to transfer everything to. So, yes, I only had one copy of my life's work... . I did not write anything to that flash drive, but i did notice that Windows was using it as part of my Recycle Bin, so its contents could have varies by a few megs, possibly messing up the file structure making partition recovery more difficult. This seems the case as TestDisk only finds the empty partition as far as I can tell, no matter what I try. Photorec, however finds from what I can tell all my files (over 11000 files, so I'm not sure what it was before i formatted), but with random file names (ex. F45366278.cpr) Why can PhotoRec find everything, but TestDisk doesn't find anything? If i could choose I just want the original file/folder structure back as the folders have associated files, but now I have to sort through random files and hope I can piece things together. Is this an impossible dream?