Can't Restore Backup Boot Sector Topic is solved

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Snap

Can't Restore Backup Boot Sector

#1 Postby Snap » 23 May 2012, 00:40

Running TestDisk 6.14 and after finding the partition through a Deeper Search, I am told that the Boot Sector is BAD but the Backup is OK. I move to restore the "Backup" Boot Sector, press Enter and the screen recycles to the same status of Bad / OK and does not seem to overwrite the BAd with the OK backup file.

Sponsored links

remy

Re: Can't Restore Backup Boot Sector

#2 Postby remy » 23 May 2012, 00:52

It may be because of write error on your disk. when rebuilding BS, are you able to list your files ? If yes, try to backup from testdisk important files. Check your disk health and consider making a bit to bit copy before to work on this disk copy.
J'ai pour habitude d'aller au bout de l'aide que j'apporte. Si vous pensez que je vous ai abandonné, et que je ne l'ai pas fait explicitement, c'est que votre message est enfoui avec d'autres. Relancez-moi (modérément) par mail.

Snap

#3 Postby Snap » 23 May 2012, 03:26

Windows would not check the disk as the system had previously reverted to RAW.

I tried to rebuild the Boot Sector in TestDisk and things went from bad to worse because it would not reboot after that.

Everything was resolved though after I booted from the CD and restored the Boot Sector from the CD.

remy

#4 Postby remy » 24 May 2012, 00:00

topic solved ?
J'ai pour habitude d'aller au bout de l'aide que j'apporte. Si vous pensez que je vous ai abandonné, et que je ne l'ai pas fait explicitement, c'est que votre message est enfoui avec d'autres. Relancez-moi (modérément) par mail.

Snap

Re: Can't Restore Backup Boot Sector  Topic is solved

#5 Postby Snap » 24 May 2012, 03:53

Yes, via XP install disk.

Return to “Filesystem repair”