I have an Western Digital My Passport external HDD that is not recognized by any computers.
If I try to select the drive in DOS, I get an error message "The device is not ready."
I've tried to run chkdsk on it and get an error message "Cannot open volume for direct access."
It is visible under Disk Management as 'Unknown' and 'Not Initialized', and when I attempt to initialize it with MBR partition, I get "The Request could not be performed because of an I/O Error."
I've downloaded TestDisk and PhotoRec, however the drive does not appear on the list.
Is some sort of recovery or partition fix still possible. I haven't used TestDisk in several years, but had luck with it then.
Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
1 post • Page 1 of 1