First question: Is it possible to recover the filesystem when windows has just formatted a new one?
Yesterday, I switch on Windows and I let it on rest mode. Today, when I opened it, I saw that the whole D:/ was totally empty... (no need to say that with pretty important info and no backup!...and yes, I know how stupid I am...). It looks like windows has just wiped all my data...wtf
I really hope you can help me with this. I've been looking for similar topics. The most relevants are:
1. help-drive-too-small-partition-ends-aft ... -t325.html
2. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5376&p=17570&hilit= ... all#p17570
...but, unfortunately, I'm totally stuck and I cannot find a similar case.
Some details :
- I was using 2 physical HDs. First HD (C:) has some partitions with a Windows 7 and a Ubuntu 14.04. (64b). I guess not relevant.
- I believe windows tried to install some updates.
- The second HD (D:) is used as data storage and to cross. Formatted as NTFS. Only one partition.
I'm passing testdisk on that hard drive (D:), using Ubuntu. I do the following:
- I execute analysis and quick search:
- testdisk finds a primary partition, but it corresponds to the "new" partition. Totally empty with no files.
- I go for a deeper scan. Finds another partition table. I wish it's the good one...
- When the search stops, the message "The harddisk seems too small!" appears and I can do nothing else.
If I try to go to advance. Only the first partition table is found. So, no data is there, and don't think RebuildBS is a good idea then. I attach the result of the deep search in case is useful. So I'm pretty much stuck there.
How can I continue? What should be the next recommended step?
Thanks for your help,
Code: Select all
search_part() Disk /dev/sdb - 1000 GB / 931 GiB - CHS 121601 255 63 NTFS at 0/32/33 filesystem size 1953519616 sectors_per_cluster 8 mft_lcn 786432 mftmirr_lcn 2 clusters_per_mft_record -10 clusters_per_index_record 1 HPFS - NTFS 0 32 33 121601 25 24 1953519616 NTFS, blocksize=4096, 1000 GB / 931 GiB BAD_RS LBA=486619357 18446744073709551615 check_part_i386 failed for partition type 07 HPFS - NTFS 30290 166 50 235812 55 47 3301703935 This partition ends after the disk limits. (start=486619357, size=3301703935, end=3788323291, disk end=1953525168) Search for partition aborted Disk /dev/sdb - 1000 GB / 931 GiB - CHS 121601 255 63 Check the harddisk size: HD jumpers settings, BIOS detection... The harddisk (1000 GB / 931 GiB) seems too small! (< 1939 GB / 1806 GiB) The following partition can't be recovered: HPFS - NTFS 30290 166 50 235812 55 47 3301703935 Results * HPFS - NTFS 0 32 33 121601 25