WHY should be so complicated and confusing?

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Message
Author
kharlx
Posts: 1
Joined: 01 Jun 2012, 19:05

WHY should be so complicated and confusing?

#1 Postby kharlx » 01 Jun 2012, 19:42

HI
i almost get a heat attack trying to recover my pics with this software, from the first sight unnecessarily complicated, WHY?.

the documentation does not seem to be valid for the 6.13 version, if i follow the procedure i never get to the part where it ask me where to save files, and it ends restoring the files in the same folder they were suppose to be WHY?

if then i get (i dont know which steps i did to get to that option) the option "where to save files" then it does not let me choose WHAT to recover, what it led to a recovered directory with a bunch of pictures, in no order (it looks that only asked where to save all the picture he can grab does not matter where it grab it from...)

i know this is a free software but is money needed to make it easy, with easy, i am not talking about making a software for idiots, but more intuitive, more logic, more HUMAN (isnt that linux logo [that btw is FAR away that..]

i tried testdisk to see if i have luck, and it s worse

a simply question, can testdisk recover deleted, lost... {whatever} files? if so... despite it claim to be good for recovering modifying resizing [partitions... why is not a simply option "recover files" from a partition, from a disk from whatever, if test disk is not intended for individual files, and only for partitions and stuffs.. then forget what i say.

a more detailed problem with photorec;
first click to open the program
__now the black DOS windows asking me to select a media, ( a media FOR WHAT? for recovering, for saving recovered files... for what?)
--- i choose the external HDD where my data used to be
-- now it shows me the partitions (i don know if i am choosing the partition where my data used to be or where i want to save data, i choose where my data used to be-
----now it ask me the format of the partition, (if is ext2,3 or ntfs etc...) i choose mine (ntfs)
--- now it asked me if it must scan free space or the whole partition, i chose the second {the whole partition}
---now it ask me where to save files (now i know the first step was for selecting where the data used to be... but...)
then it start to recover all it can do it doesnt matter where it is or used to be.

if i chose the other option; to scan the free space.. it does not let me choose where to save it

why can’t it be a little more simple
-----------------------

i am sorry, i am not a genius but when “ i don’t “understand something (specially a software) within the first 10 minutes, it really makes me angry, and if I don’t get along within the next 10 minutes, then i divert my suspects for “stupidity from me”, to the stuff what i dealing with. i work for an aerospace development company(aerodynamics only) a that method work for me, and things there CAN GET REALLY complicated, but its ok that’s our job because there is no other way known to make it easier, but with this.. PLEASE, to the developers or creators, sell the software for a little if that is what is need it, but make it human friendly

Sponsored links

yoduh
Posts: 3
Joined: 09 Jun 2012, 19:56

Re: WHY should be so complicated and confusing?

#2 Postby yoduh » 09 Jun 2012, 20:04

there are many fine products with commercial support, which are built for ease of use.
Perhaps one of them would suit you. Youll spend more than 10 minutes searching
for and evaluating them for suitability.

Im sure this free software is as simple as possible, but no simpler.
Its not written to read your mind, nor to do exactly what you need.
Nor is a hammer - but you might get satisfaction by using one on your computer.

User avatar
cgrenier
Site Admin
Posts: 3077
Joined: 18 Feb 2012, 15:08
Location: Le Perreux Sur Marne, France
Contact:

Re: WHY should be so complicated and confusing?

#3 Postby cgrenier » 10 Jun 2012, 10:50

kharlx wrote:i know this is a free software but is money needed to make it easy, with easy, i am not talking about making a software for idiots, but more intuitive, more logic, more HUMAN


Both donation and constructive remarks are welcome.

kharlx wrote:a simply question, can testdisk recover deleted, lost... {whatever} files? if so... despite it claim to be good for recovering modifying resizing [partitions... why is not a simply option "recover files" from a partition, from a disk from whatever, if test disk is not intended for individual files, and only for partitions and stuffs.. then forget what i say.


TestDisk can recover most deleted files with the original filenames from FAT12/16/32, NTFS, exFAT and ext2 filesystem. Here an example for NTFS: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Undelete ... h_TestDisk

kharlx wrote:a more detailed problem with photorec;
first click to open the program
__now the black DOS windows asking me to select a media, ( a media FOR WHAT? for recovering, for saving recovered files... for what?)


True, replacing "Select a media (use Arrow keys, then press Enter):" by
"Select a source media (use Arrow keys, then press Enter):" may be a good idea. If you have an even better text, please let me know.

kharlx wrote:
--- i choose the external HDD where my data used to be
-- now it shows me the partitions (i don know if i am choosing the partition where my data used to be or where i want to save data, i choose where my data used to be-


Bad idea to choose the original location, PhotoRec displays the message "Do not choose to write the files to the same partition they were stored on.". If you don't respect that, you may overwrite your lost data.


Return to “File recovery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest