Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
I work in Linux Mint 17.3 and I'm attempting to recover files to a newly-created empty partition, since the instructions say not to use the same partition on which the files were created. When I try to choose the destination, the empty partition is not shown. FWIW, it does show up in both the partition to search and device lists as sda8. Is PhotoRec not actually mounting the partition or what? I'm stumped and would appreciate any help. Thanks!
Last edited by elwood55 on 29 Jan 2017, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.
This seemed to be working until I got an "out of space" message, which made no sense. Then I discovered that the recovery directories were going into /mnt rather than /mnt/recovery. So, now my root partition is full and my /recovery partition still shows 372g of free space. BTW, I noticed virtually all of the recovered pictures were thumbs, not the actual pictures.
I figured this out finally. I was choosing the recovery partition while still in the mount directory.Once I hit the enter key one more time to actually be in the recovery directory and then chose it everything worked fine. My apologies for a major brain fart.