Recent Versions of Quickbooks Files?

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
pchelp

Recent Versions of Quickbooks Files?

#1 Post by pchelp » 07 Jun 2017, 10:33

Can anyone confirm whether PhotoRec recognizes the more recent Quickbooks files (past year or two up to the present)?

I've attempted recovery on a client's inadvertently reformatted drive that held numerous QBW and QBB files yet PhotoRec drew a complete blank. Meantime thousands of other files of numerous type were readily recovered. It stands to reason at least a few of the QB* files should be discoverable that drive.

Intuit is in the self-serving habit of changing its file formats on what appears to be a yearly basis. I wonder if a new signature is needed, or if anyone has created a custom signature for the purpose. I have no samples of the file type on hand.

Sponsored links

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recent Versions of Quickbooks Files?

#2 Post by cgrenier » 08 Jun 2017, 06:42

I really need file samples to test. Can you install QuickBook on another computer to get a few file samples ?

pchelp

Re: Recent Versions of Quickbooks Files?

#3 Post by pchelp » 08 Jun 2017, 06:51

I think I will have an opportunity to do just that on another client's system, hopefully tomorrow.

However I'm told the missing files in question may have been Quicken, not Quickbooks files, contrary to what I was first told. That said, I also searched for Quicken files so the same exercise may be of interest.

I don't own a copy of either program. I'll get it sorted out and do all possible to send you some useful samples.

Thanks for the excellent tool!