How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 25 Jun 2017, 03:51
I am having a problem with my 3TB WD Internal HDD (Green).
I am running a hackintosh with my 3TB as a slave formatted in exFAT. My partitions have disappeared (I actually only have 1 main exFAT partition on it), but I was able to run TestDisk and it was able to correctly identify the partitions. In fact, it even lists the files correctly. However, when I select "write" and reboot, nothing happens; the disk still does not mount.
During quick search, I get this:
TestDisk 7.1-WIP, Data Recovery Utility, May 2017
Christophe GRENIER <email@example.com
Disk /dev/rdisk2 - 3000 GB / 2794 GiB - 5860533168 sectors
check_FAT: Unusual media descriptor (0xf0!=0xf8)
Warning: number of heads/cylinder mismatches 16 (FAT) != 1 (HD)
Warning: number of sectors per track mismatches 32 (FAT) != 1 (HD)
EFI System 40 409639 409600 [EFI System Partition]
MS Data 411648 5860532223 5860120576
What should I do?
- Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 10.53.57 AM.png (52.03 KiB) Viewed 538 times
- Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 10.53.45 AM.png (79.88 KiB) Viewed 538 times
- Site Admin
- Posts: 4510
- Joined: 18 Feb 2012, 15:08
- Location: Le Perreux Sur Marne, France
Can you try to repair the filesystem using "sudo fsck_exfat -y device" ?
If it doesn't work, copy all the files using testdisk on another disk, reformat the original partition, copy the files back to this disk.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests