Missing partition; how to restore w/o overlapping partitions ?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
recuperation

Re: Missing partition; how to restore w/o overlapping partitions ?

#11 Post by recuperation »

kbarb wrote: 22 May 2024, 20:37 Thanks very much for your suggestions !
I'm mulling them over.
|
recipe 2:
========
Copy the partitions from your broken source disk to the new disk target.
Your software should ask you for the size of each target volume/partition.
Interesting idea. But wouldn't any partitioning or backup software just try to copy the "known" partitions, instead of the lost ones ?
In other words, it could try to copy a raw partition that doesn't have the correct parameters, and then restore w/ different but perhaps incorrect parameters ?
I know you don't like to comment on the possibilities of other software, but I'm just thinking about your idea.
|
For :
your proposal:
=============
Currently you do not know to whom the overlapping partition area really belongs to.
You mean, I don't know which partition table holds the error.
Yes.
Or something else ?
I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the [OS] partition is probably correct.
Your operating system can be reproduced by means of a fresh installation, your data may not be reproducible.
For this reason I would not act based on guessing.

I'd stopped the resize process while resizing the [DATA] & [WinRE] partitions, although I realize that the Acronis Disc Director program was probably adjusting all partition tables when it was doing its thing.
Theoretically you can resize the "OS"-partition at its end if you have enough free space left within that "OS"-partition.
Then the overlap situation is resolved.
I do have plenty of room at the end of that [OS] partition.
But jeeze, you're scaring me a bit now with your first recipes - I didn't think I was in quite so much trouble.

I'm thinking to work on a sector-by-sector clone and trying my idea, rather than charging ahead on the disk in question.
If that doesn't work, try your recipe-2. Just what I'm thinking, or vice versa.

One other question if it's ok:
In a normal correctly set up TestDisk "Write" procedure, should you have in the write list, all the correct partitions lined up for Write, not just the ones you found from Deep Search, or other ?
Yes. If you are insecure in TestDisk handling, get yourself an empty disk, partition it, copy data on the partitions, delete partitions using TestDisk, restart Windows, look how the disk looks like, restart TestDisk and do some other manipulations to learn how the program works.
If so my #7 screenshot would have done an incomplete Write, correct ? (Aside from the other problems)
Yes.

You are totally correct on recipe 2 and I made an error.
You need to write a partition table so that your software can adress your disk content correctly - regardless if you run a sector by sector copy or a file-based copy. A complete disk clone does not require a partition table, though.

Be careful, when using more than one logical partition the MBR structure requires writing a partition table sector in front of each logical partition except for the last one.